- About us
- Our Mission
- Our Strategy
- HANSHEP Timeline
- Why non-state actors?
- The HANSHEP Secretariat
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Got a question about HANSHEP? Have a look through these and if your question is still not answered, please email us via the 'Contact Us' page of this website.
- Legal Notice
- Anti Bribery and Corruption Statement
- MDY logo
- African Development Bank
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Government of Nigeria
- (Federal Ministry of Health)
- Government of Rwanda
- (Ministry of Health)
- Guest Users
- Guests Speakers
- Public Health Foundation of India
- The Rockefeller Foundation
- World Bank
- Where we work
- The map below illustrates the current location of programmes supported through the HANSHEP platform.
- Mining Health Initiative
- Center for Health Market Innovations
- Pilot Health PPP Advisory Facility
- iHEA 2013: Private Sector in Health Symposium
- African Health Markets for Equity (AHME)
- HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund
- Markets for Health (M4H) Training
- Global Health Investment Fund
- Establishing a Healthcare Quality Self-Regulating Body in Nigeria
- The Creation and Coordination of Private Provider Networks in Nigeria
- Advancing Public-Private Dialogue and Healthcare Partnerships in India
- Increasing Care-Seeking Behaviour for Childhood Illnesses in Nigeria (ICARE)
- Increasing Access to Primary Care Services through Health Posts in Rwanda
- Building Capacity of the Rwanda Healthcare Federation
- New Perspective Blogs
- HANSHEP website launched
- HANSHEP Mining Health Initiative launched
- HANSHEP supports Health Market Innovation
- HANSHEP to pilot Health PPP Facility
- Conference alert: "East Africa Healthcare"
- 1-3 May, Kampala, Uganda.
- Engaging with the Private Sector in Health in Africa from May 14, 2012 09:00 AM to May 16, 2012 06:00 PM — Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,
- 'Access to Health Insurance' conference Jun 05, 2012 from 09:00 AM to 06:00 PM — Rotterdam, the Netherlands,
- 2nd Annual Public-Private Partnerships in Emerging Markets conference from Jun 18, 2012 09:00 AM to Jun 19, 2012 06:00 PM — The Ritz-Carlton Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia,
- HANSHEP Profiled in G8 Accountability Report
- Private Sector Roundtable on Health (June 14) Jun 14, 2012 from 09:00 AM to 06:00 PM — Buenos Aires, Argentina,
- Optimising Health and Healthcare (4th Biennial Conference of ASHEcon) from Jul 10, 2012 09:00 AM to Jul 13, 2012 06:00 PM — Minneapolis, Minnesota,
- European Conference on Health Economics from Jul 18, 2012 09:00 AM to Jul 21, 2012 06:00 PM — Zurich, Switzerland,
- 2nd Global Symposium on Health Systems Research from Oct 31, 2012 09:00 AM to Nov 03, 2012 06:00 PM — Beijing, China,
- Historic commitments made at London Family Planning Summit
- Opportunities for Private Enterprise to support Public Health
- CHMI issues third call for Reported Results
- Expressions of Interest for new CHMI partners
- SHOPS Private Sector Working Group 2nd Annual Meeting Jul 27, 2012 from 09:00 AM to 04:00 PM — Marriott Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW Washington DC,
- The one day event brings together funders, practitioners and implementers from around the world to discuss successful private sector approaches in key health arenas – family planning, maternal health, HIV/AIDS and malaria. The meeting will be held during the International AIDS Symposium to maximize developing country participation. A networking reception will follow the meeting.
- Nigeria holds inaugural private health sector summit
- On June 25, 2012, the Federal Ministry of Health for Nigeria, with the International Finance Corporation and USAID, sponsored the first workshop focused on the country's the private health care sector.
- Webinar: Leveraging private sector resources in Tanzania Jul 26, 2012 from 01:00 PM to 02:00 PM — Online,
- Call for Papers on the Private Sector in Health - iHEA 2013 Pre-Congress Symposium
- New Research on the Quality of Healthcare Services in Urban and Rural India
- New research supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and published in the December issue of the journal Health Affairs, has provided important insights on the quality of care delivered by private and public providers of primary health care services in rural and urban India.
- REMINDER: Call for Papers on Private Sector in Health
- Launch of NextBillion Healthcare Blog
- NextBillion.net has launched a new sub-blog, NextBillion Health Care, which will address the myriad challenges and solutions in delivering health care to the BoP.
- New research into HIV Testing by Private Health Providers
- While numerous studies have examined the role of the public health sector in providing HIV counseling and testing, less known about the role played by private providers. Research conducted through SHOPS by Doug Johnson and Xi Cheng analyzed the role of private commercial health providers in HIV testing in 18 countries.
- Scaling Zinc/ORS interventions: Evidence from 11 countries
- HANSHEP member The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, in collaboration with the University of Washington Global Health Start Program, has this month launched a series of fourteen case studies in eleven countries that have tried to scale up ORS and zinc interventions.
- HANSHEP welcomes two new members
- New mHealth Compendium from USAID
- WEBINAR: Harnessing informal providers - Lessons from India
- WEBINAR - Shaping the Future of Health Markets: Lessons from Bellagio
- New report calls for US foreign aid to reorient around Private Sector
- Today, the Washington D.C.-based Center for Strategic and International Studies released a new report that calls for U.S. foreign aid to reorient itself around the private sector and make “broad-based economic growth” its organizing principle.
- Government Sponsored Health Insurance in India - Are you Covered?
- As India contemplates a significant increase in public spending on health care, The World Bank releases its first comprehensive review of India's major government sponsored health insurance schemes.
- m-Enabled Inclusive Business Models in Health - SHOPS report
- WEBINAR - Market based models for reaching base of the pyramid
- The private sector have the potential to be an effective provider of health care products and services for populations at the base of the economic pyramid.
- Request for Proposals: Knowledge & Learning Specialists
- New report: Unlocking Market Dynamics for Nutrition
- As leaders convened this week in Ireland for the Dublin Conference on Hunger, Nutrition and Climate Justice, the Results for Development Institute (R4D) released a new report outlining key recommendations for scaling up coverage of micronutrient powders.
- Enhancing Learning in Health Markets
- A summary of findings from HANSHEP commissioned research into the current landscape of mixed health system knowledge resources.
- Direct Sales Agent Models in Health
- A new report looks at case studies to generate three models for using informal distribution networks to bring important health products to consumers at the base of the economic pyramid in sub-Saharan Africa.
- HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund Expo - 22 June
- USAID and DFID Champion East African Health Innovators at the HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund Expo.
- Clinical Social Franchising Webinar: 2 July 2013
- This is the last webinar in the lead up to the Private Sector in Health Symposium in Sydney on 6 July.
- East African Health Innovators Make Connections at the HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund Expo
- Nigeria E-Health Summit on the Role of the Private Sector Sep 12, 2013 from 07:30 AM to 07:00 PM — Lagos, Nigeria,
- Global Health Investment Fund launched with HANSHEP support
- A new investment fund structured by JPMorgan Chase & Co. and HANSHEP member the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will, for the first time, allow individual and institutional investors the opportunity to finance late-stage global health technologies that have the potential to save millions of lives in low-income countries.
- New CHMI Snapshot on Private Sector Care in Fragile States
- Fragile states are home to over one-third of the world’s poor people and experience an unusually high incidence of disease. Worldwide, these countries account for more than a third of maternal deaths, more than half of the deaths of children under age five, and over a third of the deaths from HIV/AIDS.
- Universal Health Coverage: The Role of the Private Sector Oct 22, 2013 from 02:45 PM to 04:15 PM — Berlin, Germany,
- A special symposium co-sponsored by HANSHEP, BMZ and the World Bank at the 2013 World Health Summit in Berlin, Germany.
- Notes from HANSHEP symposium on Universal Health Coverage and the Private Sector
- Summary notes from a special symposium co-sponsored by HANSHEP, BMZ and the World Bank at the 2013 World Health Summit in Berlin (Germany) are now available.
- Reaching the Health Millennium Development Goals: The Critical Role of India's Business Sector Nov 13, 2013 from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM — Mumbai, India,
- Companies with interests in India are invited to attend the event, Reaching the Health Millennium Development Goals: The Critical Role of India’s Business Sector, on November 13th, 2013, at the Trident Hotel, Nariman Point, Mumbai, India.
- Global Health Conference on Social Marketing and Franchising from Dec 03, 2013 09:00 AM to Dec 05, 2013 05:00 PM — Kochi, Kerala, India,
- OXFAM & LSHTM Call for Papers on UHC and the Private Sector
- OXFAM and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine have issued a Call for Papers for an international on 'Universal Health Coverage: What Role for the For-Profit Private Sector?'.
- Communique from first Nigeria E-Health Summit
- Opportunity: Knowledge & Learning Consultant
- HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund Awardee Event in Ethiopia
- First Private Health Sector Summit in Ghana
- "The future of Africa’s health sector lies in the bosom of Public- Private- Partnership" (PPP), according to Dr Khama Rogo, Head of the International Finance Cooperation (IFC) Health in Africa Initiative.
- Nigeria passes National Health Bill 2014
- Ethiopian Dialogue on Supporting the Private Health Sector
- An event organized by an Abt Associates-led project in Ethiopia and the country’s Federal Ministry of Health jump-started a dialogue among a wide range of stakeholders on the issues of public-private partnerships (PPPs) in health, health regulations, and financing in the health sector.
- New Framework to Monitor Progress towards UHC at Country and Global Levels
- HANSHEP announces the Mixed Health Systems Hub!
- A revolutionary new platform to support knowledge exchange, networking and collaboration for all those interested in mixed health systems...
- Global Health Investment Fund supports diagnostic platform roll-out
- Going the Extra Mile for Health
- Global Health Investment Fund invests in Low-Cost Oral Cholera Vaccine
- South Korean biopharmaceutical company commits to manufacture a new and improved presentation of the vaccine at a target price of $1.00 per dose for public sector buyers.
- HANSHEP launches the Health Systems Hub!
- Round Two of Health Enterprise Fund Grants
- The HANSHEP Health Enterprise Fund, implemented by the SHOPS project, has announced the awardees selected to receive additional grants for business models that aim to improve health care for the poor in Kenya and Ethiopia. The grants and accompanying technical assistance will enable the awardees to continue to develop their businesses by expanding upon the work accomplished over the last year with the Health Enterprise Fund.
- GHIF commits US$10m for new drug against River Blindness
- Medicines for Development of Melbourne, Australia, will seek to secure registration of Moxidectin as a new drug against Onchocerciasis (river blindness) with the funding provided by GHIF.
- Opportunity: Private Sector Principal Health Specialist at the World Bank
- Deadline for applications: 20 July 2015
- Advancing Partnerships for Universal Health Coverage in India
- India Workshop Report_2015
- Now available! HANSHEP India workshop summary
- In late-2015 the HANSHEP group in collaboration with partners organised a high level workshop in New Delhi to consolidate the lessons and challenges from PPP in health care in India. We have now published a user friendly summary of the deliberation that took place over the two days in October outlining key messages from each session.
- India workshop montage
- LSHTM Lancet series, 27 June 2016. Universal Health Coverage: Markets, Profit & the Public Good Jun 27, 2016 from 11:00 AM to 04:00 PM — Rose Room - LG6/7, LSHTM, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK,
- There is a highly diverse set of providers of health care especially in low and middle income countries where a choice between spiritual and other traditional forms of healing; unqualified but cheap and accessible drug sellers and highly technical specialist hospitals are often simultaneously available, all operating privately and for-profit. The not-for-profit sector is often also an important actor in the market place. Public providers are often dwarfed by this diverse private sector in terms of the volume of services they deliver, the number of facilities they operate, and the level of finance that is channelled through them. This Lancet series: Universal Health Coverage: markets, profit and the public good, edited by Kara Hanson and Barbara McPake, discusses the implications of this scenario for the ability of low and middle income countries to achieve Universal Health Coverage; and where public policy can intervene to promote UHC in this context.
- Center for Health Market Innovations: 2015 highlights
- In this year’s edition of Highlights, we are excited to provide new insights on the universe of health innovations in our global database.
Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which is normally automatically accepted by your web browser and placed on your computer's hard drive. You can choose not to enable cookies, however, doing so may disable certain functionality across this website.
The cookie helps analyse web traffic. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web-page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
List of the cookies used on the HANSHEP website
This is a list of the main cookies set by the HANSHEP website, and an explanation of what each one is used for.
|_ac||A cookie used to remember that a user is logged in (to ensure that they do not have to log in to every page they navigate to).|
|_utma, _utmb, _utmc, _utmz||These cookies allow the HANSHEP to count page visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site, using a service provided by Google Analytics.|
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over content displayed on other sites. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you download or provide while visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Changes to policy